Friday, August 18, 2006

Artificial or Genuine Prayer?

May 29th

The heavy moisture from the fog hovers around the chalet and creates a translucent screen of white. Mondays are prayer days and we each sign up for either a half hour of ‘thinking’ or prayer. Simply Christian is this other book that Eden reads to us. It is written by an Anglican pastor. I don’t know what Anglican means. I should be more familiar with the physical geography of the Middle East. The Lord’s prayer is being discussed in this book that she is reading to us. We are caught up in an authentic argument about prayer right now (a passage from the book). Many Christians are grabbing onto the existential and postmodern way of praying. It is a method in which they are too caught up in making their own prayer and that if it’s an older prayer or a prayer written then it’s not authentic.

A common orthodox prayer that I wrote down, “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me as a sinner,” is significant to me.

No comments: